Sunday, March 16, 2008

When words won't do


Congo 10
Originally uploaded by wycliffeimc
It would be easy for me to tell you about the people we met yesterday and the stories they so courageously shared with us. But I’m not going to.

You see, I don’t feel like I can truly give their stories the justice it deserves at this very moment. I’m finding myself asking God, “If this is Your creation, why has Africa, and the Congo—and specifically the brave men that we met yesterday—why have they suffered so much?” But then again, we’re told not to ask “why,” only “What will You do through this circumstance?” And He is doing great things.

I am only beginning to process what this Bible translation team has gone through. I really don’t think that Americans, or much of the west for that matter, has a clear understanding of what has happened in central Africa over the previous years. I know that I was not prepared for what we would be met with, even after doing the background research and preparation for this trip.

You see, most Americans (myself included) do not know suffering. Certainly there are tragedies, hardships, circumstances completely out of our control that effect us in numerous ways, and I definitely don’t mean to diminish those instances. But have you ever been beaten for no reason? Have you watched you home and village be burned to the ground? Have you seen your family literally ripped apart by mobs and militias and armies?

After talking with them for about four or five hours and listening to the things they each went through, they treated us like royalty. We were given Fanta and white bread as a sign of appreciation (a huge deal considering the poverty that many of them live with every day), and when we were preparing to leave, it was as if they were saying good-bye to the Queen herself. As we drove off, I turned back to see each one of them standing and waving us into the distance, and a quote suddenly hit me that I read or heard a few weeks back: the world gives applause to the wrong people. Here they were, acting as if we had just blessed them with our presence, but really it was their stories that touched and blessed my heart more than they will ever know. They just appreciated the opportunity to share what God has done in their life, and we were happy to listen.

And I pray to God that we can tell their stories so the world can know what God is doing through them.

So hopefully I’ve intrigued you just enough to keep you interested. Like I said, I haven’t even wrapped my head around it all yet, and our team here in Africa is beginning the video piece that will share their story in a greater way. Stay tuned.

On a lighter note, Africa really is a great place. The people here are friendly, the produce is amazing, and the Congolese people have a genuine curiosity about America. We had an interesting discussion with our guide/translator today about American politics and the race for the Democratic nomination. Even people in Africa are interested in Barak and Hillary—who knew?

--Dustin

2 comments:

EricaS said...

Great writing and great pictures. Keep it up guys. We miss you but are know that you are doing a great work there.

Erica

Emilie said...

Humbling and inspiring.